TRAILS OF THE ROTHSEE JOINT MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY
Car park at Appelhof
The trail leads initially in a southerly direction along the old road and then crosses the main 2225 road between Allersberg and Hilpoltstein. Soon the trail passes beneath the railway line and the A9 Nuremberg - Munich motorway. Now the trail leads for a few metres along a small stream and then bends away to the right along a gravel path. To the left the village Eulenhof with its church and a little further down the waters of the Eulensee. Now the trail passes through meadows and fields towards Goeggelsbuch.
Goeggelsbuch, the village in which the well-known painter Gaston de Lusignan lived from 1966 to 1983 is the next stop on this trail. Gaston de Lusignan depicted many Franconian places and towns in his paintings in a typically distinctive naive style. The village church of St. George in Goeggelsbuch is particularly impressive with early rococo stucco work and ceiling paintings. The stucco work is probably that of Hieronymus Andrioli who also worked on the parish church in Hilpoltstein. The high altar was erected in 1680 by the parish priest Dr. Mechtl.
The south east end of Goeggelsbuch is reached by continuing straight ahead past the church.
Passing the water tower continue onto the small village of Kronmuehle. From the trail there is a wonderful view of the Rothsee lake. Going beneath the main road (2225) it is now not far to the shoreline of the Rothsee pre-dam. Walk along the shoreline past the beach house Grashof. At Polsdorf, with its small baroque village chapel the circular tour is almost complete.
» View with Google Earth
» Dataset for GPS device (right click and select “save place as”)
Refreshments in Göggelsbuch and Kronmühle as well as the beach house Grashof
Length and duration:
7,5 Kilometre / approx. 1,5-2 hours