TRAILS OF THE ROTHSEE JOINT MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY
From the Seezentrum (Water Centre) Heuberg walk a short distance along the main dam (sign posted as trail number 6). Next walk along the east side of the Main-Danube Canal towards the canal bridge by Eckersmuehlen. The trail does not follow the canal side path but the path at the top of the bank.
On reaching the bridge turn left across the Main-Danube Canal and then right along the edge of the forest above the canal. Soon the docks at Roth are reached. The canal here is noticeably wider as there is also a turning place for water craft. After the circumnavigating the docks the trail rejoins the side of the canal until it passes into the Roth municipal forest about 300 m after the canal bridge. Several, many very old boundary stones marking the edge of the municipal forest and private woodland line the way. The path leads to the eastern edge of the district town of Roth. Along the Noris-Strasse and Friedrich-Ebert-Strasse the trail leads into the centre of the town. Continue along the Allersberger Strasse and past Willy-Supf-Platz to the market square.
Many timber framed houses characterize the image of the town. The splendid façade of the Riffelmacher house impresses as does the old stone fountain from the year 1757. After passing the old Rathaus, built in 1758 by Margrave Christian Friedrich Carl Alexander of Brandenburg-Ansbach comes the protestant church.
The margraves Schloss Ratibor was built 1535 to 1537 by Margrave Georg the Frommen of Brandenburg-Ansbach. Shortly after the Schloss the trail follows the Hilpoltsteiner Strasse and Otto-Schrimpff-Strasse to the fairground and the railway station Roth-Lohgarten on the edge of the town park. A visit to the Fabrikmuseum (Factory museum) situated in the Otto-Schrimpff-Strasse is well worthwhile. It exhibits tools and machinery from all periods of wire drawing. The special attraction of the museum is that the machinery can be seen working.
Along side the local railline Roth-Hilpoltstein, affectionately named “Gredl” the trail now leaves the town. The “Rothgrund” vale comes after crossing the Hilpoltsteiner Strasse and the road “Am Espan”. At the waterworks the trail leads into the Roth municipal forest and on until the banks of the Main-Danube Canal. Continuing now to the right along the west bank until the road bridge by Eckersmuehlen. From here the trail follows the route taken on the way out and so returns to the starting point.
» View with Google Earth
» Dataset for GPS device (right click and select “save place as”)
Roth historical town centre
Fabrikmuseum (Factory museum)
Refreshments at the many restaurants in Roth and the Rothsee restaurant
Length and duration:
20 Kilometre / 5 hours